Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pete and The Pacifier - Who's Your Daddy?

As I mentioned in my previous post, Weston is now at the middle school. One of the important pastimes of middle school kids is talking about their favorite movies. Since Weston was born with rocket fuel in his veins instead of blood, it has always been difficult for him to sit through an entire film. The last few months however, he has been trying to catch up with his movie-watching peers and see what kind of entertainment excitment he has been missing.

This weekend he decided to watch "The Pacifier".

The Pacifier is a Vin Diesel movie. For those of you unfamiliar with Vin Diesel:

Scary guy huh?

In "The Pacifier" disgraced Navy SEAL Shane Wolfe is handed a new assignment: Protect the five Plummer kids from enemies of their recently deceased father -- a government scientist whose top-secret experiment remains in the kids' house.


So as we are watching this movie, the kids have a father who looks pretty much like a typical father....kind of like this:



So when Vin Diesel shows up to babysit........
He looks like this..........


The children are terrified and it's funny!

But then Weston says to me......

"Mom, I don't get it?"

"What don't you get?" I answer.

"Why are the kids so scared of him?" he asks me honestly.

"Cuz he's very scary looking." I answer, wondering why Weston doesn't get it. But with his difficulties understanding social cues, it is not unusual for Weston to be confused about humorous situations at times and I assume it is another one of those moments.

"He's not scary," Weston explains to me calmly, "He looks just like a Dad"

That's when I realized that unlike most children with Dad's that look like this:


Weston has a Dad that looks more like this:

Vin Diesel
Dad

Throughout the entire movie, Weston just does not understand. It is not funny to him at all.


Because to Weston, Vin Diesel is Dad!

I guess now, I understand!


I like to tease my husband, telling him his license picture looks more like a "most wanted" poster. But cleverly concealed beneath the face of (what looks like) a convicted felon, beats the heart of a warm and loving man, a wonderful father.

Move over Vin Diesel, there's a new Dad in town.  

No comments:

Post a Comment