Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pete's Pet Peeve

My husband works for a company that services large corporations and schools in and around the city of Boston. Needless to say, he spends a great deal of travel time on the roads and highways in the surrounding area.

As Pete traveled toward home this evening, he noticed a minivan equipped with a "school" placard and "pupil" license plates. The vehicle was driving erratically, darting in and out of several lanes of traffic. Since Pete was behind the vehicle, he could see the head of a small child sitting in the back seat. On the child's head was a tiny snow hat that bobbed around as the vehicle moved quickly from lane to lane.

Pete sped up to get a closer look at the name of the company who owned the vehicle. As he did, his speed registered 75-80 miles per hour as the van travelled along in the high speed lane of the highway.

"I was very upset," my husband explained to me. "If that were Weston or Nicholas in the vehicle, I would have been concerned for their lives."

Pete noted the license plate and called the transportation company from his cell phone.

"I am a concerned citizen," he explained to the woman on the phone. "I would like to report an erratic driver who is endangering passenger (and possibly children's) lives."

My typically mild-mannered husband was furious and intolerant of another individual whose actions put a child diagnosed with special needs at risk. Trust me when I say, it takes a lot to get my husband upset.

The woman on the phone thanked Pete for his call and explained that each employee has a GPS attached to their vehicle and they would immediately investigate this driver.

"I am glad I could help to advocate for this child, for I certainly would not be very happy if it was my child in that vehicle." Pete explained to the woman.

As Pete recounted his adventure to me, I think I fell in love with him just a little bit more.

2 comments:

GB's Mom said...

If it were one of my children on the bus, I hope someone would do the same. Thanks for sharing.

The Henrys said...

Good for him! I'm so glad he called and reported that person!

Post a Comment