Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Great Pumpkin Comes to Town

Nicholas is an explorer by heart. Many of you may remember how he loves to raid my closets.


He loves to rifle through stuff..in search of the perfect treasure.

Sometimes his treasures are band-aids...

Sometimes they're snow pants....


Even the laundry baskets become treasures to Nicholas....


This week however, Nicholas raided a most unusual thing...my Halloween supplies. He found my collection of plastic trick or treat pumpkins. He found the jointed skeleton that I hang on the front door. He even plugged in the Halloween lights and draped them over the stairs. But the fall decoration that became his latest most prized possession was...................the pumpkin flashlight. Two of them!


Yes, spring may have finally come to New England, but to Nicholas it is Halloween once again. He asked me (very politely I might add) if I would change the batteries in the flashlights so he could bring his glowing pumpkin friends to school for "Show and Tell"?

How could I resist? I searched the closet for "D" batteries and found the four I needed. I unscrewed the flashlight tops, replaced the batteries, adjusted the light fixtures and voila......

  
The Great Pumpkin comes to town!
Nicholas puts the flashlights into his backpack and it is off to school we go. As we sit in our usual location on the bench in the front of the school, Nicholas takes out his flashlights. As he switches them on, they start to blink. He hands me one of his blinking buddies and we sit together in silence, mesmerized as we watch them glow. Several children pass by us, looking somewhat confused. It isn't Halloween, they think, and wonder what on earth we are doing with these flashlights? It isn't long before a whole crowd of school-aged children begins to form around us. Even a few teachers join in the commotion. Nicholas, like the Pied Piper of Hamelin, has all in the crowd, seemingly possessed by the magical flicker of these glowing Halloween pumpkins. He is the center of attention and as he looks up from his pumpkins, he smiles at all the happy faces in the crowd.

I am amazed at my son's ability to embrace the magical...no matter what time of year it is.

I am amazed at his ability to help others see the magic too.

2 comments:

The Henrys said...

He is a boy after my heart! Fall and Halloween are my favorites.
How very nice that he was the center of attention and shared the magic of the pumpkin flashlighs with everyone. I can picture it in my mind...

ps, thanks for your kind words about my husband's grandfather.

Luvmypeanut said...

our kids sometimes march to the beat of a different drummer and what a wonderful beat it is!

Post a Comment