Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Spinning Wheels

Weston and Nicholas love to play outside. Now that Spring is finally here, they have enjoyed pulling out their old garage toys and playing in the yard. I love to watch them.

Each boy has adopted their own unique style of play.

Weston in typical, rough and tumble boy fashion, likes to pull out our 4-wheel-drive wagon and fill it to the top with construction vehicles and monster trucks. He pulls the loaded wagon over to the edge of the woods and creates a miniature cross-country race track for his collection of hard core machinery.



As I watch Weston silently from afar, I can somehow picture him as an adult, driving one of these.


Nicholas, on the other hand, in true calm and nurturing fashion, likes to push my old baby stroller. He does not fill it with his favorite items but instead pretends he is transporting his favorite cartoon character to the hospital. He quickly crisscrosses the yard pushing his latest victim to the nearest make-believe facility.


Here Tommy Pickles is rushed to the emergency room. As I watch him speed over to the driveway, I can't help but picture him as an adult driving one of these.


With their diagnoses, will my boys ever be able to get their driver's licenses? I do not know.

 But I am hopeful that the wheels of time will allow it

.

No comments:

Post a Comment