Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Friday, August 5, 2011

Nicholas and the Magic of a Kitchen Campfire

I am certain that when my son Nicholas becomes an adult, he will work for Martha Stewart or maybe Steven Spielberg.

He has been blessed with an innate ability to transform an ordinary space into a cozy corner of make-believe magic. He has an affinity to all things warm and comfy. Things like fireplaces, campfires, candles and nightlights, all hold a special place in his heart. I never know when I will find a portion of my kitchen turned into an elaborate Hollywood set.

Today, I had been distracted and uneasy. We have learned that Pete's father has been admitted into a hospital for dehydration and possible kidney issues. He is 81-years-old and lives in Wisconsin. He has been like a father to me. In my distracted state, I seem to have lost my focus and myself.

But as I came into the kitchen to prepare some lunch for the boys, I am stopped dead in my tracks by my son's latest set building project.

Yes, once again my crafty, creative child has brightened up a corner of the kitchen. This time he has designed a cozy Halloween/campfire theme. No detail is too small as he places a red ceramic pot filled with tiny sticks on the glowing embers to warm. Of course the pumpkins are placed strategically on each end of the glowing fire to bring color and warmth to the magical scene.

The Halloween extravaganza glows merrily in my kitchen. It has helped to brighten my mood and bring my feet back to the ground.

Once again his calm spirit, his ability to embrace all that is magical, has lightened my spirit and freed me from myself. Sometimes I wonder, just who the teacher really is....in this family?

1 comment:

The Henrys said...

You are so right! Gracie is the best teacher I have ever had.

Now Nicholas is a boy after my own heart! Halloween scene, complete with a campfire...perfect! My favorite time of the year!

Sending good thoughts your way in regards to your father in law. Keep us posted...

Post a Comment