Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mom, Look out for the Chicken!

It is pouring rain and Weston and I are driving to the elementary school to pick up Nicholas. I am driving cautiously, the "possessed wiper blade" incident still fresh in my mind, when Weston shouts,

"Mom, look out for the chicken!!!"

"What?" I ask incredulously.

Now, keep in mind, we live in New England, not the Midwest. There are no hen houses in our neighborhood, no barns, no silos, no fields of corn! And while there have been many instances where I have had to slam on my brakes for things like skunks, raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, and the occasional deer, I have never had to swerve to miss....a chicken!

But sure enough, my observant young son is correct. I slow my vehicle to a complete stop as six red hens start to cross the wet street. The car behind me beeps impatiently, unable to see the line of feathery fowl passing in front of us.

"Chickens? Really?" I ask to no one in particular.

"Cool!" Weston says, as we wait for the last confused and somewhat startled bird to decide to cross. She is frozen in place and reluctant to cross in front of this large, shiny SUV predator. I inch my vehicle slowly forward. She now decides to dart suicidally in front of the moving car. I stop again to let the poor panicking poultry pass.

The birds gather into the yard of a very concerned man who comes quickly out of his house to round up his herd of hurried hens. I laugh out loud at the unusual sight.

"What do you think of all that?" I ask Weston.

" I dunno," he says, "do you think it means something?"

"Well, I have heard that when a black cat crosses your path it's bad luck. But I have never heard of what it means when a chicken crosses your path. But it seems kind of silly, so I guess it must be a good sign."

"Why do you suppose they did that?" he asks.

"I don't know," I reply, "either they are very brave or very dumb."

"No Mom, Weston smiles, "They crossed the road... to get to the other side!"

He is now holding his sides and howling with laughter, and I wonder who is more dumb, me or the chickens?

Chicken/Hen's Wisdom Includes:
  • Power of voice
  • Understanding language
  • Pecking out the answers that escape others
  • Awakening powers at sunrise
  • Protection of family and community

3 comments:

The Henrys said...

I literally laughed out loud at this!! Soooo cute!

Anonymous said...

You have some very smart kids.

Lisa said...

Thank you both for the comments.
Yes, Weston definitely out smarted me on this one!

Post a Comment