Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Shootists

It never fails. No matter what I purchase for the boys for Christmas, it is always the $1 items I buy at the Dollar store that seems to give them the most pleasure.

Last year it was FLARP, a slimy substance that mimics the sound of flatulence.

This year, it's the plastic NERF guns.

Now, I am a pacifist. I detest war, violence, guns or weaponry of any kind. However, I live, unfortunately, in a household full of male energy, males who enjoy chasing each other around the house, recreating a fiery shoot-out in the middle of my kitchen . Males who could probably make a career out of faking their most gruesome demise from make-believe gun shot wounds. I have watched as both my sons have flung themselves to the floor and cried out in agony as they pretend to gasp out their last remaining breath.

"Oh Weston, I don't think I'm gonna make it," Nicholas pants as he tumbles to the ground in an Oscar-worthy performance

"Gaaaahead," Weston bellows, "make my day," as he strategically places his final fatal fake shot and puts his sweet younger brother out of his misery.

But amidst the fiery shootout and the graphic death scenes on my kitchen floor, the boys have become somewhat creative.

They have designed their own personal body armor.

In a flash of genius, Weston grabs two of Nicholas's backpacks and straps them to the front of his chest.

"Hey Nick, look, I have my bullet proof vest on!"

Not wanting to be outdone by his creative older sibling, Nicholas grabs a sack and straps it to his chest too. Of course, it is his favorite...the pink Dora backpack. He utters a blood curdling scream and runs after Weston in a firing frenzy, while the smiling pink Dora serves as the imaginary bullet protecting shield.

"I'll get you Mr. Terminator!" Nicholas wails.

In true Mummy fashion, I try to take a photo as they fly around and around the room with toy guns blazing.

"Wait a minute Mom." Weston says. "You need to get a good picture of our bullet proof vests." He pulls his brother close, puts his arm lovingly around his brother's shoulder and smiles.

It is a tender moment, a loving time-out from the blood and guts of weaponry and warfare.

For the life of me, I don't think I will ever understand the minds of boys!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I love that this post is not really about guns, but two brothers that love and enjoy each other immensely!

The Henrys said...

I love the picture!! Your boys would get along great with Caleb. They all have rough and tough, yet tender, personalities!

Post a Comment