Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Plant Killer Pete

I love my husband with all of my heart.

But sometimes, I must admit, I do not understand the man.

Particularly his propensity to kill plants, not just any plants, mind you. We live in the country, so our house is surrounded by all kinds of growing trees and flora. But despite this plethora of prolific plants, my darling husband somehow manages to snuff out only the ones that are the most precious to me.

Let me explain.

When we first moved to the neighborhood, I purchased a variety of seedlings to adorn our barren front lawn. Things like lilacs, iris's and peony's, were lovingly planted and carefully marked throughout our yard. I made a point of showing my husband exactly where each plant resided, so that if he left them alone perhaps one day these seedlings would become beautiful bushes.

It wasn't long however, before Range Rover Rambo riding on this...



Mowed down almost all of this.......



Do you see these lovely Lilac bushes? There used to be three.....



Even this hardy shrub was shaved to the ground once or twice by my marauding mower man.



So, needless to say, my plant purchases discontinued. I figured, if I didn't buy any more plants, my darling husband couldn't kill any more of them.

This philosophy served me well...that is until this weekend.....

Here in New England it was a long weekend, with Monday being the holiday, Patriots Day. The weather was glorious, perfect for doing some yard work.

And so it was that Plant Killer Pete decided he was having wildflower withdrawals and chopped down my biggest, most beautiful wild black raspberry bush that I had been grooming for years.....that's right...years!

The beautiful bush resided here, behind the lattice work of our porch.

Notice the missing lattices?
 
The stump....



My husband's tool of choice you ask?

Why a chain saw of course!

I probably wouldn't have noticed for a while, if it wasn't for Weston, who ratted out his poor oblivious father.

"Hey Mom," he says, "I can not tell a lie, Dad just cut down your blackberry tree!"


Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!