Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pot Roast and PWS

Today, I learned something new about Nicholas.

Our local supermarket had a sale this week on pot roast. It has been very chilly here lately, and I hadn't prepared a slow-cooked meal for the family in a while, so I decided to buy it. Now, I must be the worst PWS mother in the entire world, because I didn't even think about how it would effect my insatiable son.
I browned the meat, cut up some vegetable and placed the pot on the stove to cook slowly throughout the day. It wasn't long before the smell of simmering, seasoned stew filled the entire house. Shortly after, came an all too familiar question.

"Is it time for supper yet Mom?" Nicholas asked.

And suddenly, it dawned on me. The constant smell of meat and vegetables cooking slowly on the stove was like torture to Nicholas. His already overblown hunger suddenly went into overdrive.

I had made a terrible mistake.

"No Honey, it's not time yet, I answered."

Now, this line of questioning is our typical routine that usually starts at about 4 pm, just as the dinner hour is approaching. He will ask me (about one hundred times) when it is time to eat? I will try to answer calmly while I distract him enough to quickly prepare our evening meal.

Today, however it was only 2 o'clock.

How would I distract him for an entire afternoon?

I decided to send both boys outside to play. That worked great, for while, but like I said before, it's chilly here, so it wasn't long before I heard the door to the garage open, the sound of clomping feet and a little voice asking once again....

"Mom, when is it time for supper?"

That was it, I piled both boys into my vehicle, told Pete to watch the pot roast, and headed to the park for the rest of the afternoon.

Now, my husband Pete is not a culinary expert. In fact, his entire recipe repertoire includes pancakes, Kraft macaroni and cheese or hamburgers. That's it....nothing else. I had no idea, what my pot roast was going to look like when I returned from the park.

I have learned a valuable lesson.....

Pot roast and PWS do not mix!