Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Jewelry Thief

Like many individuals diagnosed with Prader Willi Syndrome, I too have a propensity to be obsessive compulsive. My son Nicholas shares this quirky characteristic. Unfortunately however, our compulsions are often in direct opposition to one another.

And we begin our battle of competing compulsions.

I am the clutter police. I like to keep things neat and put things away.

Nicholas likes to explore...


I like to keep the boy's bedding smelling fresh and clean.


He screams bloody murder whenever the sheets approach the laundry area.




I like to take down the Christmas decorations as soon as humanly possible.



He likes to keep them up for the entire year.

Lately, however, Nicholas has found a new obsession.

My jewelry.

He likes to confiscate my jewelry box, opening and closing the decorative container. To him, it is like he has found a chest of gold. He pulls out each glittering item and like a pirate, he smiles as he admires the precious jewel. He holds my dangling earrings up to the light and watches them sparkle in the sun. Bandit, the cat is often his partner in crime, drawn to the twinkle of a gold necklace that is held up for him to bat.


I wouldn't mind so much, except that my few pieces of decorative jewelry have a habit of showing up in the oddest of places.

I once found a rhinestone earring in one of my shoes.

I found a gold necklace on the window sill in the bathroom.

I even found my favorite Christmas pin tucked into one of his pencil boxes.

Yes, Nicholas's habit of hiding my rather scarce supply of baubles, makes it difficult for me to dress for a special occasion. I must now build in an extra twenty minutes in to my grooming schedule to give me ample time to search for my "buried treasure"!

Perhaps I should invest in one of these?