Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Thursday, June 7, 2012

Construction Complete

Weston loves construction equipment, or at least he used to...

When he was 4 years old, he watched every "Hard Hat Harry" video every sold at our local Kmart store. In the summertime, it was construction sites, not playgrounds, he begged me to visit.

In fact, it is because of Weston, that I can recite the name and function of every piece of construction equipment ever made. I can even name the manufacturers like CAT, Case, Deere and Kumatsu.

But my learning curve was slow and I would say things like,

"Hey Weston, isn't that a cool-looking bulldozer on TV?"

"MOM," he would shout impatiently, "That's not a bulldozer, it's a backhoe!"

"Oh" I would say shrinking away in heavy equipment shame.

"There it is again Weston, a backhoe!" I'd say enthusiastically, trying out my new found construction equipment lingo.

"No Mom, that's a front loader, Geeeez!" he'd say hopelessly.

But eventually, I learned the names of these beastly machines.

Christmas presents for Weston were always a breeze....any large yellow vehicle with black rubber tires and shiny exhaust pipes made him happy. Our garage looked more like a warehouse for Tonka.

But boys tastes begin to change, and for the maturing Weston, construction vehicles just do not possess the same allure.

Unfortunately however, I am still stuck in construction vehicle alert mode.....

"Woooahh, Weston look at that CAT backhoe," I'll say while I wait for his exuberant response.

But nowadays instead of an AW COOL!.....I get an indifferent...."That's nice Mom."

Even Pete is having trouble suppressing his ingrained "awe" response to construction activity.

He sent me this photo yesterday from his cell phone atop one of the tall buildings in Boston and suggested we send Weston to school here.


A few years ago this fully operational working equipment zone would have put Weston into a construction coma. This time however, his response to the photo was......

"Oh"

What has replaced this fascination you ask?

This..................



And of course, this................



Oh brother, I think I prefer when his favorite girl used to look like this......