Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Born Salesman?

What I love most about my son, Weston, is you never know... just what he is going to say.

As we all sat eating around the dinner table, Weston suddenly announced,

"Boy, I sure wish a 13-year-old could work?"

"Why do you wish that?" I asked scratching my head in true clueless mother fashion.

"If I was working at something I liked, I would be so much happier than when I go to school." he answered.

As I thought about this for a moment, I was reminded of his favorite teacher of all time.....Mr. Chute.

Mr Chute is a tall, wiry man who is one of those rare individuals who embraces out-of-the-box thinking. He teaches his students in a fun yet educational manner. He personifies the meaning of the word, quirky and I am not surprised that Weston had the best school year of his life under the tutelage of Mr. Chute.

Anyway, Mr. Chute told me once, that my job as Weston's parent was simply to get him through school. He explained that not unlike himself, Weston was one of those children who would suffer in school but more than likely he would be super successful as he entered the real world.

I have never forgotten his words. In fact, lately, they have become my mantra.

"Just get him through school, just get him through school, just get him through school!"

As I thought about Mr. Chute's advice, I asked my thoughtful son, if he could have a job right now, what would it be?

Perhaps not surprisingly, he told me that he would really love to sell these:

 
He asked me, of course, if driving the car would be one of the responsibilities of selling these beauties?

"Yes, I imagine as a salesman you would need to understand all about this vehicle. I would think that driving and understanding the car would be important."

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at Weston's driving obsession. In fact, I am partially to blame for it.

When Weston was 3-years-old, he loved matchbox cars and hot wheels. He collected boxes and boxes of the miniature sports vehicles. So, hubby and I decided one Christmas, to buy him one of these.


It was by far, the best money we ever spent. He drove, and drove and drove this plastic battery-operated monster. He drove through the yard. He drove on the driveway. He followed behind my husband when he cut the grass. In fact, we had to purchase an extra battery just so we could keep him driving all day long.

He got pretty good at it too, offering rides to Nicholas and neighborhood kids.

 
He could stop on a dime, maneuver three-point-turns and back-up on a straight line. Yes, even Mario Andretti himself would have been proud of the way my young son drove that imitation SUV.

He  drove his beloved jeep jalopy for years, only retiring the roughed-up roadster after the hard plastic tires had worn to a thin film and he could no longer fit in the driver's seat.

Weston loved to drive so much that hubby decided to bring him to a Nascar race where he met none other than...

Richard Petty

As I thought about Weston and driving and Nascar and Mr. Chute, I smiled.

A sharp picture of the honest and good-hearted Weston sprang to my mind. When I thought about it, Weston was designed to sell! His love of driving, his penchant for memorizing facts, his ability to negotiate his way out of a tight spot and his good-natured personality are all qualities that could help my sports-car-crazed son to become a very successful salesman. Heck, I think even I would be tempted to buy a Lamborghini from Weston.



The stress of worrying about Weston and his future suddenly loosened, at least for a moment.

I felt a glimmer of hope and and happiness as I realized that perhaps Mr. Chute was right after all.

Perhaps the world is just waiting for Weston!

 
Tell me, would you buy a new vehicle from this guy?