Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Tuesday, September 11, 2012

This September 11

On this September 11,
I find myself feeling a mixture of emotion.
Perhaps reflectng on the lessons I seek to understand in my own lifetime.
 
I grieve for the innocent loss of life.
 
I grieve for the horrifying effects of reckless hatred.
 
I pray that the lessons we learned on that fateful day are not of hate, revenge and the seeking of retribution.
 
But rather a learning that through tragedy and loss, we learn to live better together as human beings to embrace the gift of life and the power of the human spirit.
 
It is interesting to me that on a day that was meant to destroy us, instead it brought us all closer together.
 
In this spirit, I would like to remember Carol Flyzik, a 1979 graduate of our local high school. She is a reminder to me of just how far the long arms of hatred reach and the innocent lives that have been lost because of it. 
 
 
To read more about Carol, you may read my previous Sept 11 post here.
 
It is in this spirit of remembering Carol and all our loved ones,
 
that I look forward to rebuilding a positive tomorrow that seeks to learn the important lessons of mutual love, respect, tolerance and understanding.
 
 

 
I am hopeful for a brighter more loving tomorrow.