Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Saturday, October 6, 2012

It's Finally Over!

I am happy to report that we have finally reached an agreement with the school.

For the first time in a year and a half, I can finally breathe.

Nicholas begins his new school next week.

Unfortunately, however, as part of the agreement, I am not allowed to speak about any of it.

It has been a long exhausting process. I am physically, emotionally and mentally drained but absolutely confident that all of us have made the best decision possible for Nicholas.

He is very excited about starting his new adventure. He visited his new classroom last week, where he related very well to several peers and seemed very relaxed and comfortable. The new school personnel have been very warm and welcoming.

Of course, now that it is all over, and I have finally stopped long enough to catch my breath, I have developed a nasty case of laryngitis. It has served however, as a wake up call for me. Or perhaps a giant bop on the head is a more appropriate description.

I have been neglecting myself over my children for a very long time. With Nicholas's recent issues, I didn't have much choice. But I have now decided to begin taking better care of me. Today, I scheduled my first physical in very long time. BC (before children) I was very conscientious about yearly physicals, dental appts, hair appts and eye exams. Lately, I have become negligent and realize that this trend needs to stop. I believe many parents of children diagnosed with special needs face the same dilemma; how do you care for yourself while also caring for medically complex children?

For me the answer is: trying to master the schedule. Over the past few years of appointment madness, It is now absolutely necessary to schedule in down time, alone time, fun time and medical appointment time for myself as well as my children. I am in definite need of a tune-up and some high maintenance (for a change.)

I am hoping this new change for Nicholas will bring me some of that precious time.

I m hoping to find some peace.