Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Monday, April 1, 2013

A Letter for Weston

I was chopping onions in the kitchen yesterday, preparing for Easter dinner, when Weston came bounding into the room.

"Here's the mail Mom," he said and dropped the pile of letters on the counter in a whirlwind of energy.

"We should be hearing from the technical school soon," I said as I wiped my hands and reached for the mail. My psychic senses must have been tingling, as there amidst the collection of bills was a letter from the technical school.

"Weston, it's the letter from the technical school, it came!" I shouted.

My ever-moving child stopped dead in his tracks.

"It did?"

"Yes," I answered. "Do you want to open it?"

"Nah," he said, "Can you do it?"

"Are you sure?" I asked, "You don't want to open it yourself?"

"No, I don't think I can take it," he answered nervously.

"OK," I said, "Here goes..."

I ripped open the letter and stared in disbelief.

"Congratulations......." the letter began and I didn't need to read any further.

"Weston, you did it!" I shouted. "You're going to the technical school! Woooohooooo!"

"I did?" he asked in disbelief. "I made it?"

"You made it!" I said, bursting with pride.

"Yeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh!" he shouted, pumping his fists in the air and dancing in circles.

Nicholas sprinted into the kitchen,

"You did it Weston," he shouted with glee, clapping his hands and smiling.

"Let's go tell Dad." I said.

Weston ran to the front door, his feet barely touching the ground, Nicholas and I following closely behind.

"Dad, Dad, I did it. I did it! I'm going to the technical school!" Weston shouted with glee.

"What?" my husband asked, and stopped what he was doing, unable to believe the happy news.

Weston gave Pete the letter and we all sat down on the front step to read the happy news.

"I can't believe it Weston. This is great news. I am so very proud of you son!" Pete said and put his arm around Weston.

Weston's acceptance letter has filled our hearts with happiness and joy.

Somehow, I can't help but feel like Weston's happy news has finally broken the spell of the tough last few months. Nick's health issues and hospital stays put a heavy strain on our family. Our non-stop schedule however, did not dampened the spirit of the ever-supportive Weston, who eased happily into his role of comforter to his younger brother without a single complaint.

Honestly, I can't think of a more deserving human being for this good news than the kind-hearted Weston.

This school application experience has been a good life's lesson for Weston. He learned about interviewing and preparation and dressing for success. But most importantly he learned that despite his diagnosis, his family hardships and his troubles with school, there is something very special and good about Weston.

His future is filled with opportunity and the chance for a fresh new start.

I am anxious to watch him thrive.

Congratulations, Dear Weston! You did it!