Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Tuesday, April 16, 2013

No Place for Hatred

I was born and raised in the Boston area. It is my home.

To me, the Boston Marathon is a symbol of inspiration, courage and hope, an event where individuals strive to become better human beings. Many runners compete to commemorate loved ones or to raise money for incurable disease.

It is a sacred event.

The finish line of the Boston Marathon is a place where many families and children gather to watch their loved ones return from their journey. I have cheered many runners from this location.

That this should be the place where bombs were placed, seems particularly abhorrent to me.

I feel an incredible sense of sadness and loss.


 
I am sad to be reminded, once again, that I live in a world where such reckless and unbridled hatred exists.

I feel a loss for the precious lives that were taken so mercilessly,

an abominable side-effect of what happens when those among us hate.

Four people have died as a result of this violence, two women, one child and one young man. To me, the lives of these individuals exeplified kindness, peace and the depth of our human spirit.

 
Martin Richard, an eight-year-old child from Dorchester, Mass. was killed in the explosion. He was cheering for runners at the finish line with his family. His mother and sister, have also sustained serious injuries. Martin was a keen baseball player, climber, runner and was a member of Savin Hill Little League team. His family is beloved by their community where they contributed in many ways.


Krystle Campbell, a restaurant manager from Medford, Mass. was also killed as she cheered for friends at the finish line. Friends and loved ones describe her as a smiling, happy, youthful, and selfless person.


 Also killed while watching the race from Boylston Street was Boston University grad student, Lingzi Lu from China. She is described as sweet-hearted, passionate about the piano, and a stand out statistic student. She was a daughter who always made her father laugh.


The brother of slain MIT Police Officer Sean A. Collier remembers him as a person born to be a lawman, a person with a compassionate heart that drove him to help others, and a country music fan with two left feet who still managed to learn how to square dance.

My thoughts and prayers are with these families and all who have suffered by this heinous act.

I do not know that I will ever understand such violence.

"Hatred which destroys so much, never fails to destroy the man who hates, this is the immutable law."

Still, I am not comforted and pray that the minds behind this evil act can someday know sanity and peace.

But amidst the smoke and carnage, many heroes have emerged.

It is on these individuals, and the innocent victims, that I would like to focus my attention and my healing thoughts.

 
 


 
 

These are my heroes

To donate to these families, and others injured by these tragedies, please click on the icon below or visit: www.onefundboston.org.

 

It is extraordinary to me, that the final outcome of this hateful act was the worldwide publication of  Martin Henry's message of peace to the world.
 
 
I support his dream.