Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Sunday, May 12, 2013

Attracting Similar Energy

Weston had an appointment last week with his pediatrician. We have been visiting with Dr. George since Weston was first born. He has helped us to negotiate our way through sickness, health and a diagnosis of ADHD.
 
As I sat in the waiting room, I thought about how far Weston has come over the last few years.

Soon, a small boy and his mother arrived in the waiting room. The boy looked exactly like this....
  
 Weston at 2-years-old.
 
He was curious and active, wandering around the waiting room with his mother following closely behind.

"Hunter be careful," she said, "you can't put your hand in the fish tank."

He quickly turned and left the fish tank, heading, this time, to the bathroom where he began opening and closing the door.

"Hunter, don't slam the door," she said and gently lead him back into the waiting area.

I smiled to myself remembering when I too was chasing a little boy around the waiting room.
 
The boy spotted Weston sitting in his chair listening to music. He was mesmerized by Weston's presence and drawn to his energy. Like a moth seeking the warm light, he ran to Weston, placed his hand on his lap and tilted his head as if he was about to ask the surprised teen a question.

Weston was delighted by his attention. He showed the boy his ipod and asked him to push one of the button's. The boy smiled and began to hand Weston books and magazines from the table, eager for any response from the very cool-looking teenager.
 
 As I watched the exchange, it was almost as if Weston was playing with a younger version of himself. I told the new mother that it wouldn't be long before her son looked just like Weston.

The nurse came into the waiting room.

"Hunter?" she called and in a flash the little boy and his mother were gone.

"Aw Mom, he was so cute," Weston said, "It's such a bummer he had to go."

"You looked just like that when you were his age." I told him.

"I did?"

"Yep, you did."

"Mom, do you think he has the wiggles?" Weston asked.

"Well, I don't know but I am sure his Mom will be very happy if he turns out to be like you."

"I liked his energy." Weston said.

"Me too." I answered.