Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Thursday, December 4, 2014

A Menorah for Christmas

This week at school, Nicholas has been learning about the many different ways folks from different cultures celebrate the holiday season. So perhaps I should not have been surprised when he asked me,

"Mom, I want Santa to bring me a Menorah for Christmas."

FYI.......we are not Jewish.

(I write this post with the utmost respect for all religions, customs, cultures and different ways of life.)

If you recall, Nicholas is a lover of all things bright and shiny. He loves glowing candles, roaring fires and twinkling lights upon the tree. When you think about it, lighting a candle every night for eight days, is exactly his kind of celebration.

What is interesting to me, is what he asked next,

"I would like Santa to bring me the electric kind, so I can put it beside my bed."

So, after a lengthy discussion with Nicholas about the difference between Chanukah and Christmas, and the importance of both to each culture, he asked,

"But Mom, why can't we celebrate both?"

So, in honor of Nick's spirit to embrace and respect other points of view, Nicholas will be receiving a Menorah for Christmas. And perhaps a few other religious or cultural symbols..... depending on what Nick learns at school.


 Dear reader, may you enjoy this holiday season no matter what your culture, religion, color, disability, nationality or particular point-of-view.

In the true spirit of the season,

We are one.