Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Thursday, December 18, 2014

Serious about Circulars

Nicholas is my constant companion.

Unlike his brother Weston, who has entered the "My Mother is the Most Embarrassing Person on the Planet" phase. Nicholas, on the other hand, loves to accompany his mom on errands. To the drug store, the post office, the gas station or grocery store, wherever I go, Nicholas loves to assume the role of my faithful sidekick.

Now, while I like to believe it is my irresistible effervescence and pure mummy magic that motivates my young boy to want to ride along with me, what I have discovered, lately, is that it may actually be...something else, a deeper need that's being fulfilled, a longing for something colorful.

I have noticed that in many of the locations we visit on a regular basis, like CVS and Market Basket, there is always one of these.

 
You've seen them. The circular displays with newspapers advertising the company's weekly specials.

Nicholas loves them and never passes up an opportunity to take several of these free publications. At first, I thought he took these brochures simply because they were free. What I have discovered in my literate lad is that he loves to look at what's available, what's for sale and more importantly what he might enjoy.

Perhaps not surprisingly for a child diagnosed with Prader Willi Syndrome, there is one circular he adores more than all others....


It is the one from Market Basket, our local grocery store. We have so many of these circulars from Market Basket, we could probably wallpaper our living room with a colorful collage of cold cuts and cottage cheese.

I know what you're thinking...isn't it kinda mean giving him photos of food? What I have discovered is exactly the opposite. The photos seem to comfort him. He enjoys choosing his favorite items and sounding out the words of the unfamiliar products, like pomegranates and clementines.

I do believe it has also assisted him in learning how to become a better reader as he enjoys reciting his favorite sale items to me each week.

"Mom, Market Basket has Canada Dry Ginger ale on sale this week." he'll announce with glee or

"Did you know they sell pumpkins at the grocery store!"

 Yes, to my son Nicholas, the Market Basket circular is a highly preferable and informative piece of literature.

Move over Dr. Seuss, there's a new leaflet in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment