Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Tuesday, December 23, 2014

'Tis the Season

For most folks, December is a time for fun, festivities and preparing for the holidays.

For parents of children diagnosed with special needs, it is a time for preparing for something else.

The dreaded IEP.

For me personally, it is a time to begin the discussions about Nick's placement for next year.

And so, let the games begin....


This year, I made a mistake however, and scheduled both of my children's IEP meetings within a few days of each other.

What was I thinking?


Our pit bull,

I mean advocate... has a unique "bite your face off" kind of style, designed specifically to inhibit me from deluding myself. It may sound inappropriate, but it is absolutely necessary in the process of making me painfully aware of the reality of school negotiations. For it is the LAW that we must follow and not always what is BEST for the child that prevails.

I truly appreciate our advocate, for I need to see this reality in order to correctly prepare for it.

But no matter how hard I prepare for my mauling, I am never ready for it.

Because when it comes to Nicholas, who is thriving in his current environment, it is a painfully difficult pill to swallow.

I must admit, the first round of meetings has got me feeling like this....


But in tearful discussions with hubby last night, he explained that while he would love to offer me comfort and sympathy, he knows, in his heart, that this is not what is needed. He said I remind him of a scene in Predator where the elite soldiers are fighting the terrifying beast when one of them exclaims:


I am thankful for the upcoming Christmas break, and a chance, this time, to try to stop the bleeding.