Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Special Day

Today is Nick's birthday.

He is 13-years-old.

Good Lord another teenager in the house! Don't know if I am ready for this just yet.

Anyway, in celebration of this special day, I decided to find a photo of Nick when he was a baby.

I found this one.

Somehow, it reminded me of the Harry Potter movies where the paintings come to life and begin speaking.  This one seemed to come alive. To me, this is the true essence of Nicholas. The old soul who looks directly into your eyes and asks:


Are you listening? Are you opening your heart to the love that is around you? Are you living in the peaceful present? Please, for God's sake......chill out and be happy. Life is too precious to waste, dear Mummy. Find your light.

It stopped me cold.
It put a smile on my face.
I remembered why he is here.

It is so often my children who remind me to stop thinking and start living. Like the flame that fires up the wick of another. Nick's positive energy is contagious, it burns brightly and can be at times, life changing.

 


Happy Birthday Dear Nicholas

Thank you for the light.