Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snow Bands

I am happy to report....so far, we have power.

Hallelujah!

Thankfully, we did not receive the high winds that were predicted from this storm and that is a very good thing.

The snow however, is another story.

We have about 2 feet of snow right now and it is still snowing heavily. It is expected to continue throughout the day. I believe we may break a record in our area for total snow accumulation.

 
 
To continue on with my series: New England Meteorology Lessons 101,
I am going to discuss the meaning of the word, snow band.
Much like the phenomenon that occurs during a hurricane, nor'easters are swirling storms that contain bands of moisture.
 
 

See the heavily shaded blue areas on the map up by the Lowell area traveling down through Boston toward Providence? These are bands of heavy snow. Typically during a nor'easter they pass quickly through a town. This storm, however, is moving slowly, the band of blue has been stuck directly over us for several hours. Resulting in heavy snow accumulation, at least for us. Interestingly enough, a town that may be just 20 miles away (ie west of Lowell) is experiencing hardly any snowfall at all.
 
From a plowing and shoveling perspective, snow bands suck.
 
If it takes you 45 minutes to shovel your walkway, the area where you started shoveling now needs shoveling again. It becomes a no win situation. Thankfully it has been a very light fluffy snow, and fairly easy to move.
 Weston and I are taking turns with the shoveling chore.

Here are a few photos for you, These scenes will change quickly however, as we receive more snow throughout the day. I will provide more photos once the storm is over.
 


FYI...do you remember my post on "Plant Killer Pete"?
I am sorry to say....he's baaack.
I am puzzled by my husband's unique ability to kill off all of my most prized plant possessions.
I believe he has a sixth sense for it.
Do you see the shrub on the right?
Of course you don't, its covered under a wall of freshly plowed driveway snow...oy!
You may remember this poor shrubbery from my post about the Triffids?
 


We will see if it passes the Peters family test of die hard resiliency.