Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 14, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 17, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"Warp Speed, Mr. Sulu!"

For a special needs parent, life moves fast.


over rough terrain.


and at breakneck speed

This is my path.

I accept it.

Soldiering on

 in an effort to survive

  
Well, hold onto your hats folks,
for we are about to move so fast
 that we may actually achieve.....


LIGHT SPEED


And much like Captain Kirk, directing his faithful helmsman
to boldly go where no man has gone before

I too have jumped into a time-traveling tunnel
hurtling forward at a violent pace
toward a frightening new galaxy.


"Warp speed,  Mr. Sulu!"


This is my Mom, Evelyn
She is now facing a frightening voyage of her own
toward her own final frontier.

She is a bright, beautiful and vivacious woman.
who currently resides in the memory support unit of an assisted living facility.
She is battling the debilitating effects of dementia
She is in trouble
suffering from many crisis situations
effecting her health, finances and estate.

I have not shared this experience with you for many years,
for reasons that are very complex and deeply personal.

I have through birth right, however,
recently inherited the responsibility of caring for my Mom and her estate.

Interestingly enough, I find myself uniquely prepared for the job,
being no stranger to conflict resolution and complex medical needs.

I have the solid and faithful support of my brothers and sister.

The question is....
Can I do this without disrupting my own health, happiness and family life?

Can I embrace this overwhelming responsibility with a healthy mind
 by acknowledging the fact
 that I have something important to learn here?

I guess time will tell.