Our Journey Raising Two Children with Special Needs

This blog chronicles our life raising two children, Nicholas 15, diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome and Weston 18, diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's/ADHD. It's the ups, the downs, the joys, the sorrows and most importantly, the beauty of living a life less perfect, a life more meaningful.




Thursday, January 26, 2017

I Love Lucy...?

If you're a longtime reader of our blog, you are familiar with the gentle spirit and warm heart that defines my youngest son. He loves new-born babies, fluffy rabbits and soft, furry kittens, And although he just celebrated his 15th birthday, he thinks and behaves like a child who is much younger.



Sometimes I forget.

Over the holiday season, his new bus driver, introduced him to all of the Peanuts cartoon characters by giving him his first Charlie Brown Christmas DVD. Needless to say, Nick loved it. The sad little branch transforming into a colorful glowing tree, appealed whole-heartedly to his altruistic idea that kindness and cooperation has the power to transform sadness into beauty.

He loved the movie so much; he played it over and over again.

Since Nick's birthday arrives shortly after Christmas, I decided to seize upon this genius new opportunity. I bought him a collection of Peanuts presents: a Snoopy backpack, a Woodstock lunchbox, a Peanuts puzzle and last but not least, a Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin DVD.

So what if Halloween was months ago?

The movie captured the essence of the Magic Season, Nick's favorite time of the year.

Birthday gift-giving couldn't get any easier than this.

If you're unfamiliar with the Magic Season, click here to read about it.

So, you can imagine my surprise when Nick came storming into the kitchen and slammed the dvd down onto the counter.

BAM...!

"That's it!" he said emphatically.

"I am NEVER watching this movie EVER AGAIN!" he shouted.

"What happened?" I asked, surprised by his overwhelming reaction.

"Did it freeze up when you were watching it?" I asked, wondering if perhaps it got damaged by an unusually neglectful Amazon elf?

"NO!" he said, folding his arms across his chest, his silent cue that he is about to go postal.

I got down on one knee and looked in his eyes, now flooded with tears.

"Nicholas, what is it?"

"I DO NOT LIKE LUCY.....!"

"Why don't you like Lucy?" I asked.

"She took Linus's blanket. She is so mean."



"Oh Nicholas," I said, "it gets better if you keep watching it."

"No Mom," he said,

"I just can't take it."

"If it makes you feel better, he does get his blanket back," I assured him.

"He does?" Nick asks tentatively.

"He does," I answered.

"No Mom, I just can't watch her be so mean, ever again."



"OK Nick, I understand. But I'll leave it right here on the counter just in case you change your mind."

"Ok," he said tentatively, "But I don't think I'm going to....."

And there the movie sat, day after day after day.

"You know Nicholas," I said one day, "Lucy is a big sister. Sometimes big sisters are bossy."

"They are?" he asked.

"Yes, they are, but they are also very helpful. If you watch the movie you will see how Lucy takes care of Linus and gives him his blanket back."



"She does?"

"Yep, she does. I guess if you don't have a big sister it's kind of hard to understand."

"Arrright Mom, I'll try to be brave," he said with a sigh.

It took a few days

and then a few more

until eventually

the movie disappeared covertly from the counter.

I had to hold back my laughter

when I heard a very familiar piano melody

come blaring from the living room.



again and again and again


No comments:

Post a Comment